Benefits of meditation
What can meditation do for you? Is it worth trying?
At some point we’ve all experienced feeling calm, clear and relaxed, or simply being content with where we are or what we are doing.
The key thing is that these experiences relate to your state of mind – this is something you can learn to adjust for yourself. At Lifeflow we call this a balanced state, and using skills from the 2500 year old meditation and mindfulness tradition, we teach you in the Learn to Meditate course how to bring yourself back into this kind of state regularly and easily.
With meditation you can learn to:
- Relax quickly and efficiently
- Improve concentration and clarity of mind
- Reduce anxiety
- Improve sleep
- Gain a general sense of well-being
- Help restore health
- Enhance your creativity
- Bring out the inherently happy and content person from within
Free come & try sessions …
45 min sessions – no previous experience is required – enjoy a feeling of calm and learn some practical meditation techniques that you can use straight away.
Western science also supports claims that regular practice of meditation offers a whole range of psychological and physical benefits:
- For a comprehensive and easy to read review of the science does, and doesn’t, say, you can’t go past this book: The science of meditation – how to change your brain, mind and body, Daniel Goleman and Richard Davidson. Read a review on NewScientist.
- Reducing anxiety – measures of brain areas involved when meditating – read article
- Practising mindfulness meditation helps improve sleep more than just sleep education – read article
- Overall health benefits from meditation (when associated with conventional medical treatments) arising from its use ‘as an instrument of self-regulation of the human body’ – read article
- Reducing the adverse effects of stress on the body – read article