Meditation and mindfulness
Meditation and mindfulness are terms that are often used interchangeably, but they refer to slightly different aspects. At Lifeflow, we use the following practical definitions:
come and try!
- Meditation commonly refers to the skill of being able to relax your body and calm your mind whenever you want, i.e. returning to a state of balance
- Mindfulness techniques then provide the tools for maintaining balance in everyday life.
Everyone has been in a balanced state before...
You may notice it as a general feeling of wellbeing, or being able to focus well, or just being content to be where you are, doing what you are doing. Meditation practices deliberately cultivate this state, but you may also have felt it when:
- Going for a walk in a park or a forest, or along a beach
- After swimming, or any other exercise
- Watching a really good film, or being absorbed in a book, or listening to your favourite music
- Eating an orange
- Walking in the sunshine at the start of spring
Normally, we go in and out of this calm, relaxed state many times during the day. Meditation practices help you to get back to this state quickly and deliberately, and with mindfulness techniques you can learn to sustain it for longer.
The techniques begin with shifting from thinking to sensing
Meditation begins by shifting us from thinking to sensing. When we open up to the sounds around us, the sensations in our bodies, the light on the trees, or any other sensation, then thoughts gently move to the background. This brings us right back to the present moment, allowing all of the thoughts and worries to settle.
Being in the present moment lets us open to the richness and colour of life, sensing and experiencing the world in a fuller way.
With Lifeflow meditation & mindfulness techniques you can learn to:
- Develop calm and clarity; learning to return to a state of balance (meditation), keeping your thoughts connected with your body (mindfulness) and opening up to the clarity of your sense awareness.
- Explore your inner life, if you are interested in doing this. This is the world of your intuition.
- Find happiness, beauty and meaning and help keep your mind and emotions in a healthy state.
Get started with Lifeflow’s 6 week Learn to Meditate Course and experience the benefits of understanding mindfulness.